Pistachio & Beet Salad
- 1 pound medium beets, peeled and sliced into 1/4-inch rounds
- 4 tablespoons vinegar
- 1 tablespoon pure maple syrup plus 2 teaspoons, divided
- Pinch of salt plus 1/4 teaspoon, divided
- 3 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil
- 1/4 teaspoon ground pepper
- 10 cups watercress, trimmed
- 1 medium fennel bulb, trimmed, cored and thinly sliced; fronds reserved
- 1/4 cup coarsely chopped salted pistachios
- 1/4 cup crumbled feta or goat cheese
- Bring 1 inch of water to a boil in a large saucepan fitted with a steamer basket. Add beets, cover and cook until tender, 10 to 12 minutes.
- Combine 2 tablespoons vinegar, 1 tablespoon syrup and a pinch of salt in a bowl. Stir in the beets. Refrigerate for at least 10 minutes and up to 2 days. To serve, whisk the remaining 2 tablespoons vinegar, 2 teaspoons syrup, 1/4 teaspoon salt, oil and pepper in a large bowl.
- Add watercress and sliced fennel; toss to coat. Arrange the beets around the edge of a platter and drizzle with 2 tablespoons of the pickling liquid.
- Mound the salad in the center. Top with pistachios and cheese. Garnish with chopped fennel fronds, if desired.